Breaking News
  • May 8Yearbooks are on sale at jostens.com!

STEELE SQUIRE

The Student News Site of Byron P Steele High School

STEELE SQUIRE

STEELE SQUIRE

Important without the fanfare

Academic UIL students have big goals

Academic UIL is a school event that often goes unnoticed and uncelebrated. However, to some students it is a place where they can be themselves, exercise their talents and grow in their passions. It allows students to hone new skills and further develop ones they already have. Specifically in journalism UIL, the students involved in journalism UIL strive to advance their skills at each competition they attend, and they yearn to accomplish the goal of making it to state level.

“My ultimate goal is to make it to state at some point during high school,” Samantha Swift said. “At state you’re going up against a lot of really good people, so it’d be amazing to place at state.”

Swift made it to regionals last year, and so far she’s made it to regionals this year as well. Because there are multiple events each year, the UIL group usually becomes a sort of community. People begin to enjoy giving up their Saturday to spend time with their friends and do what they love at meets.

“I like feeling like I’m a part of something,” Jordan Haynie said. “I like UIL Saturdays because it starts the day off with something productive, and I get to see all my people.”

Along with being fun, UIL teaches important life skills that students can use in their futures. It requires a strong work ethic, good responsibility and willingness to work on yourself. Depending on your event, you will practice different skills, but to the journalism students, writing seems to be the main objective.

“I hope to gain more experience in my writing,” Swift said. “To write with intent is a very powerful skill to have, and the more I compete, learn, and practice the better I will get.”