Breaking News
  • May 8Yearbooks are on sale at jostens.com!

STEELE SQUIRE

The Student News Site of Byron P Steele High School

STEELE SQUIRE

STEELE SQUIRE

Total Eclipse

Steele Suspense

The Solar Eclipse had the students and staff of Steele anticipating its once in a few years appearance. Word spread like wildfire that the blue sky that hovers over our brick walls would soon turn pitch black. Students were released during 6th period to the nearest exit with their class to see this occur. “I thought the sky would black out and I would get to see the whole ring around the sun, I mean everybody was hoping for that,” Olivia Williams, 9 said.

Shades for Days

To show admiration for this historical event, Mrs.Cervantes made it a mission to offer enough glasses to protect anyone who would witness the eclipse. Each pair of glasses was handed out as an abundance of students filled the gaps in the halls to see the eclipse. “When I put the glasses on I noticed that when they’re in bright lights you can somewhat see, but they were really, really, really dark,” Kaycee Coppage, 9 said.

Unexpected Expectations

Shuffled feet slowed as everybody was welcomed outside with a dim sky covered with an ocean of misty clouds. The shades of gray left students questioning when colors wouldn’t be as identifiable, but that moment took longer than expected. “All I saw were clouds, I saw like a .1 glimpse of it at most,” Richard Cruz, 10 said.

Not all that bad

Although the wait weakened the excitement as time went on, it gave the students a chance to enjoy the outside rather than being glued to a desk. “I liked chilling out and waiting because it gave me an opportunity to talk to my friends since I don’t have many classes with them,” Jimmothy Stevens, 9 said.

The After fact

As students returned to the building, mixed opinions were swirling through the air as some students expressed their disappointment with sighs, and others lightened the mood with predictions of the next eclipse when it comes back in 2 years. “I felt disappointed. We wasted our time going out there to see nothing but clouds,” Noah Beecher-Taylor, 11 said. “And since this is a one time occurrance, it felt like a wasted experience.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to STEELE SQUIRE

Your donation will support the student journalists of Byron P Steele High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.