Breaking News
  • May 8Yearbooks are on sale at jostens.com!

STEELE SQUIRE

The Student News Site of Byron P Steele High School

STEELE SQUIRE

STEELE SQUIRE

Once in a Full Moon

Steele High school students experience the Solar Eclipse

On April 8, 2024, Steele High School experienced their first full moon eclipse as a school, and the first full moon eclipse in the United States since 2017. Everyone across the school was in different places at the same time. Some were in the band lot and most were on the football field.

“The eclipse was really fun. It was a cool experience to have a period just to view the eclipse. We got together with all of our friends, too, which was so much fun,” Tatiana Nabozny said.  “Even though it was cloudy and we actually couldn’t see that much, I enjoyed the time away from class to get to see how dark it got outside.”

In most of San Antonio, the eclipse couldn’t be seen due to the weather. But, that didn’t stop everybody from trying. Through the clouds, you could momentarily see the overlapping moon and everyone could see the incredible darkness during the day.

“I was glad to get out of class and sit there and watch all these kids look up and pretend they were actually seeing something even though it just got dark,” Adyson Flannery said. “I thought we were actually going to see the moon go over the sun but it was too cloudy to see anything.”

The eclipse over Cibolo started at 1:35pm and lasted a total of 4 minutes. Though viewing the phenomenon was limited, the sense of community that the event brought together was incredible. The whole school brought together to do the same thing, view the dark sky and unwavering clouds.