Beyond the Rainbow

Beyond the Rainbow

Kylie Pavlovsky, Editor in Chief

Red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple are the colors that paint the standard LGBTQ+ flag, but beyond them are various other color combinations that have a sexuality tied to them. Sexualities exceed the standard “LGBTQ” label and are shaped to fit a person’s identity.

These identities, whether known or hidden, are spread across the school campus. Students often show their pride with t-shirts and flags, some even incorporating their identity in their makeup. In contrast to other schools, many students believe this school is open minded and has many students who are a part of the LGBTQ+ community.

“I think a lot of the students here identify as queer or LGBT and even the people who have a lot of negative things to say about it aren’t very vocal about it, or at least, there’s strength in numbers when it comes to that,” a Steele Knight said.

Although often seeing equality, Cristina Novikoff, a student who identifies as pansexual, believes there is still a select few who aren’t as accepting of the community.

“It’s a rather conservative area. Obviously it’s a lot better than others. I know I get the whole ‘oh she looks interesting’ [thing] and stuff like that,” Novikoff said. “I do think it’s portrayed pretty good here compared to other places, but I always think people can be a little more open-minded and stuff like that.”

While this campus welcomes people of all identities, there are still ways to improve.

“It’d be nice to have some events, like a day to wear pride outfits,” an anonymous Knight said.

Outside of school, however, students who identify as LGBTQ+ face more controversial opinions. Although grateful for the LGBT generation before them, they still struggle against social rejection and slow acceptance.

“There are very negative stereotypes about it,” an anonymous Knight said. “Especially concerning people of a specific religion, and especially in America there’s a lot of stigma around it even though stuff like gay marriage is legal.”

Even with all the negativity surrounding the LGBTQ+ community, there are various ways allies have shown support. There are events such as pride parades that gather hundreds of individuals across the spectrum to show love for people being who they are.

“I’ve never been to a pride parade, but I’ve wanted to for the last 3 years,” Gonzalez, who identifies as bisexual, said.

Novikoff, however, went to a local pride parade this past June.

“It was really really fun because you’re just surrounded by people who have gone through similar things than you have and you know you’re around people who see the world the same way you do,” Novikoff said.